Thread: hello all

hello all

I wanted to say to hello to everyone and give you a little insight as to why I am here. I am a special projects manager at a smaller company in socal. We have a client that has an Ultima gtr and I am the one that is doing most of the work on it. Our client did not do the original build. He brought us the car a little over 8 months ago to us to go through it and modify it a bit to suit his wants. So I am here to gain insight and help if needed. I am also here to let you all in on what we are doing with this fantastic machine. I wish I had found this forum months ago as your insight to car would have been great. so to catch you all up on the past 8 months of the build here is a bit about me and car as it sits.

I am a professional race car builder and engineer. With over 20 years of experience in motorsports there is not many things that I have not seen or done to a car. I have built cars for SCCA, IMSA, NASA, WRC. We hope to apply what I have learned over the years to this Ultima to see what the full potential is.

so on to the car. it is red Ultima gtr, power by a 7.0L with a g50 gear box. when we received the car it did run and drive but had a few things that we wanted to address.. It had a few electrical problems , but manly the shifter on the car lacked feel and confidence in getting the right the gear. sense the car was to be a street car with a few track days we dug a little deeper into it to insure reliability. I must say the original build was pretty well done. so we talked to the client to narrow in on just what he wanted. As we talked about the car more and more the list of modes kept growing. Some of things he wanted was a better shifter system, ability to change engine maps for street and track, traction control and in the end have a car that was easy to drive with enough adjustment in it that anyone could drive it.

so off I went looking into every system of the car. fuel system, cooling system, electrical system, driveline, suspension, driver area, and safety. well I found things to change in just about every area of the car. So I broke it down and here is the list of modes we will make. so to solve the engine maps and traction control needs first we scraped the electrical and engine management system and went to a full Motec system. So M150, 2 x PDM 15, c125 display d175 display and key pad. then it was on to the shifting. So out with the g50 and in came a 6 Speed sequential gearbox. Not wanting to have a 7 ft long shift cable we added paddle shift. then we changed the fuel system around a bit. new fuel pumps with a back up main pump. Changed a few oil lines. outfitted a new coolant over flow expansion tank. removed the heater system but keep the a.c. system, new exhaust system as we didn't like those big mufflers on top. patched all the holes in the dash and removed most all switches, and gages. added a fire system and master kill switch system. and a few other things along the way but those are the big things.

well this is getting long sorry. So many changes it is hard to keep it short. But that is about where we are at. as it sits we are in the programming stage of all the motec. we fired the car for the first time last Friday and got the car shifting for the first time in over 8months. so we are getting close hopefully we dyno the car next week if all goes well.

Re: hello all

I did every upgrade you mentioned above but left heat for those chilly NY fall mornings. I swapped out factory suspension for longer wish bones and center nut rims. I added a front ride height lift system to get up and down those pesky driveways. Nick from Motec has the schematic for my Motec ECU, PDM and key pad, so should be easy to get now.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    2014 Ultima GTR, LS7, Albins ST6-M, Sat nav, Motec ECU, PDM, Keypad, Ride height control,

2009 Factory Five Cobra, 427w, Stack fuel injection, TKO600

that is great to hear that someone has done the same thing we are doing. Nick would have been a good reference a few months ago for sure. wish I was on here when we started that whole thing. We haven't gotten into the suspension yet. but it is on the plate for a month or so from now. so I will have a few questions when that time comes along. did you do full center lock conversion? When you did your new wish bones did you go with hyme joints?
    thanks
    Jeremy

so I was going to post a few pictures of the modes we have done. I wasn't sure if I post them here or start a new post in the build section.

installed a complete centrelock conversion from Jonny at Macg Racing in the UK. All wishbones are heim jointed, Braid rims.
    Start a new thread in the build section so everyone can get a first hand look at whats being done and said.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    2014 Ultima GTR, LS7, Albins ST6-M, Sat nav, Motec ECU, PDM, Keypad, Ride height control,

2009 Factory Five Cobra, 427w, Stack fuel injection, TKO600