Thread: Winter projects on tap

Winter projects on tap

This winter will be a busy one.
    New Evolution nose with carbon light buckets, upgrade clutch to duel disc, clean up some fuel line reroute, change swirl tank to one with fuel pump inside, engine upgrades plus a few other things.
    Pics as I proceed.
    2014 Ultima GTR, LS7, Albins ST6-M, Sat nav, Motec ECU, PDM, Keypad, Ride height control,

2009 Factory Five Cobra, 427w, Stack fuel injection, TKO600

Went and did a complete rip out of the factory chassis harness. I decided to make my own to see if I can slim it a little and use a slightly heavier gauge wire with resettable fuses/breakers.

I'm also installing a one off engine harness from Chase Bay complete with military grade connectors.
    2014 Ultima GTR, LS7, Albins ST6-M, Sat nav, Motec ECU, PDM, Keypad, Ride height control,

Re: Winter projects on tap

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures if you were willing, Bob - am curious to see what an Ultima that's had some use looks like under the bodywork, and what you choose to replace.

Many thanks.

Edited to add that I just noticed that yours is a 2014 car, so still pretty fresh out of the box! Good to see that that's not stopping you from tinkering!!!
    Last edited by Pedders; 03-07-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Ill post some pictures tomorrow, they only area that seems to collect some dirt is in the rear behind the wheels (obviously why) and behind the front wheels on the shelf where the access panels are. other than that, it stayed pretty clean.

As for the tinker, my Friends call my shop Frankenstein's Lab.

Yanked engine out and added some HP goodies, re-plumbed fuel system and replaced factory harness with a home built custom.

If I was ever to do another build (don't let my wife see this...) than I'd certainly explore standard loom alternatives, since modifying it to get the ford stalks to work was such a pain, and it would be good to explore switch gear alternatives. As you say, there's also quite a bit of redundant wiring in it, especially if you use a single dash unit to replace all of the traditional dials. I came across this on the engineered to slide drift hilux build web site (well worth a watch) which I thought looked pretty cool - you actually get a better idea for what it can do by watching the build video where they do the electrics, and see the software that programs it in action.

http://www.racepak.com/Components/Smartwire.php

I like the idea of it being a bit more hi tech than the old traditional looms.
    Last edited by Pedders; 03-10-2016 at 05:25 PM.

we have something similar that I used in a Factory Five Roadster a few years back.
    http://infinitybox.com/

It allows for everything to be controlled thru simple ground triggers, even has an option for a touch screen to control everything.

As for the stalk wiring, I went a different route and installed an AIM GT320 steering wheel, all directional, hazard, horn shifting and dip switch are incorporated thru ground trigger. The directional wring goes thru a motorcycle directional module that is self cancelling.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy these communities that we create, new different ideas and every vehicle is unique.